The first game of the 2012-2013 season for Providence basketball will be in Providence on November 10 against New Jersey Tech. Expectations are that this year's Friars team can match last year's. They offset a loss of 27% of last season's player minutes with the contributions of two Top 100 recruits, including #13 Ricardo Ledo, and two other incoming freshmen.
Providence will see the largest deficiency on defense, where the team lost 34.9% of their shot blocking. Right behind that is rebounding, where they drop 31.2% from last season's numbers.
Providence closed out the last season with an overall record of 15-16 and placed 15th in the Big East with a conference record of 4-14. In postseason play, the Friars lost to Seton Hall 79-47 in the Big East tournament. The Friars will have to live without several players, including Gerard Coleman (transferred to Gonzaga), Bilal Dixon (transferred to Towson), Ron Giplaye (transferred to East Tennessee State), Chris Carter (2 MPG), and Mike Murray (2 MPG).
Familiar faces for the Friars are senior Vincent Council (15.9 points/game), junior Bryce Cotton (2.2 assists/game), sophomore LaDontae Henton (14.3 points/game), junior Kadeem Batts (6.2 points/game), and sophomore Brice Kofane (1.4 blocked shots/game).
Providence brings in two Top 100 Recruits. Ricardo Ledo is a 6-5 forward from Fitchburt, MA and is the #13 ranked recruit in the country. Kris Dunn is a 6-3 guard from New London, CT and ranked #20.
Other freshmen joining the Friars include 6-5 Josh Fortune and 6-9 Tyler Harris. Also joining the team are 6-10 sophomore Sidiki Johnson (transferred from Arizona) and 7-0 junior Carson Desrosiers (transferred from Wake Forest).
The Friars will look forward to five games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including at #2 Louisville on January 2nd, #9 Syracuse on January 9th, and #24 Cincinnati on February 6th. The first Big East game for Providence is at #2 Louisville on January 2nd.
Tags: Gerard Coleman
- Since 2002, Providence has an overall winning percentage of 51.1%.
- The Friars have an average conference finish of 12.6 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 8.8.
- In a 10 year period, Providence has signed 3 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Friars have signed 6 Top 100 players.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 118.9.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Syracuse (#2).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Bryant (#340).
- Providence has 5 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Providence returned more than 74% of the team's statistical production was 2008-2009.
, Bilal Dixon
, Ron Giplaye
, Chris Carter
, Mike Murray
, Vincent Council
, Bryce Cotton
, LaDontae Henton
, Kadeem Batts
, Brice Kofane
, Josh Fortune
, Tyler Harris
, Sidiki Johnson
, Carson Desrosiers