On December 6th in their own building, the Friars beat the Rams, 72-57.
A couple key stats coming into the game: The Friars are very hard to beat on their own court, and the Rams weren't so hot coming in (2 for 5). Last year, Providence beat Rhode Island 80-61. Going back four years, the Friars are 4-1 against the Rams including 3-0 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Since 1980, Providence is on top, 22-11.
The game came down to a big separation in offensive rebounding and a somewhat smaller advantage in turnover margin. Providence hit the glass harder than Rhode Island, 14 offensive rebounds to seven, and that led to more second-chance shots. The Friars managed the ball very well, only turning it over 16 times.
Kadeem Batts led the Friars against the Rams with 23 points on 42% shooting in 39 minutes. LaDontae Henton added 17 big rebounds. The Friars are now 7-2 and they look good early in the season. They've also won 5 in a row.
Next up is Colgate at home on December 18th.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Brice Kofane
- LaDontae Henton had career highs with 17 rebounds, 13 defensive rebounds, and 4 steals.
- The Friars set season highs for free throws made and steals.
- PC has won 80% of the time this season (4-1) when opponents record 20 or fewer field goals made.
- Bryce Cotton had a career high with 7 assists.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Nikola Malesevic.
- The top two scorers (Jordan Hare and Nikola Malesevic) accounted for 45.6% of the points.
- Jordan Hare has led the team in rebounding 3 times in 9 games this season.
- Rhode Island lost and did not cover the spread.
- Xavier Munford has 5 straight double-digit point games.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Kadeem Batts
, LaDontae Henton